Total Pageviews

Sunday, January 29, 2012

Start of reassembly

I am done with fabrication of front suspension parts, I think.  It's time to start putting parts back on the car.  Woohoo!

Starting on the driver side, I cleaned up all of the road gunk using a scraper and wire brush on my electric drill.  It's not a perfect clean up job, but good enough to start reassembly.  The full cleanup will come later after I completely disassemble the car.  Good enough is good enough for now.

When I got through all of the gunk on the lower control arm pivot point, I discovered that the old bushing had started to work a hole into the mount.  This part will need to be replaced later, but I think it will hold for now.  You can see the wear marks in this pic on the left inside of the channel.
The rest of the structure on this side seems sound.  I have not started on the other side yet, but I suspect I will find similar damage.

I stopped work when the wife had my birthday dinner on the table, but before then I was able to reinstall the fuel line and brake line that runs through the driver side fender well.  I also cleaned up the wheel hub and bearings.  No pics of these parts since they are kinda boring.

I got to thinking during dinner that with this fuel line reinstalled, there's no reason why i can't fire up the engine.  This week I will change the oil, get some fresh fuel, charge the battery, and she if the old gal still has some life in her.

More to follow!

No comments:

Post a Comment